The City Clerk serves as liaison between City Council and its constituents, and is custodian of City Council’s legislative history.
Appointed by the Mayor and City Council, the City Clerk is responsible for documenting, recording and interpreting the history of the City.
Freedom of Information Act Request
Complete a FOIA Application and email application to City Clerk Kelly Lovette.
Public Speaking Request
For information on the speaking availability for the Mayor, City Council members or other City officials, contact Kelly Lovette at (843) 797-6220 ext. 1113.
Administrative and Legislative Duties
The City Clerk serves as a link between the legislative and administrative areas of City government. The Clerk, under State law, is held responsible for the proper recording and filing of all ordinances, resolutions, petitions and other legal documents.
The duties and responsibilities of the Office of the City Clerk involve extensive coordination and interaction with:
- Mayor and City Council
- City Administrator and Assistant City Administrator
- City Attorney
- City Departments
- The Public
- Other Legislative Bodies at the county, state and federal levels
The City Clerk also:
- Prepares, distributes and publishes all meeting agendas of City Council, as well as records proceedings of City Council and attests to all documents issued by the City
- Provides all administrative support to City Council
- Serves as filing officer for actions involving litigation, petitions and subpoenas
- Produces municipal records in court litigation
- Receives claims again the City
- Serves as liaison between the Berkeley County Election Commission and City Council on municipal election matters
- Serves as the official custodian of ALL municipal records and the City seal
- Archives and records management
Custodian of City Records
The City Clerk is the official custodian of City Council’s legislative history and other official records of the City including:
- City Charter
- City Code
- City Seal
- Zoning Maps
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining and administering updates of supplements and codifications of Code of Ordinances
- Serving as the Records Manager for the City and as custodian of City Council records and certifies copies of such records
- Retrieving, storing and preserving all records of the City and City Council
- Ensuring records are available for public inspection