Sign Replacement Incentive Program
The purpose of the program is to enhance the image and livability of the City, as well as promote positive economic growth. The City will provide monetary assistance for sign removal and replacement in parts of the City. The program is designed to encourage rapid removal of existing nonconforming signage. All pre-existing, non-conforming signs have until 2033 to come into compliance with the City of Goose Creek Sign Regulations.
To qualify for the non-conforming sign removal incentive, a sign must be considered "pre-existing non-conforming" under the sign regulation revisions as passed in 2022. The property must not have any outstanding violations and have a current business license. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department.
- All funds are on a first come, first serve basis. Once designated funds are exhausted, the program may end permanently before year two.
- You must apply for a sign permit and reimbursement to receive funds. Erecting a conforming sign without an approved permit and applying for a reimbursement will result in no funding.
- In 2024, eligible applicants that have removed a freestanding sign and replaced with a compliant sign that has been approved by staff will begin to receive grant funds via reimbursement. In the program’s first year, reimbursement is 90% of the cost up to $10,000.
- In 2025, eligible applicants that have removed a freestanding sign and replaced with a compliant sign that has been approved by staff will begin to receive grant funds via reimbursement. In the program’s second year, reimbursement is 80% of the cost up to $7,000.
How the Program Works
- Verify with staff that your sign is pre-existing, non-conforming.
- Apply for a new sign through the Citizen Self-Service Portal and let staff know you would like to take advantage of the program when you apply.
- Staff will send you additional information about the program and an application to request for reimbursement.
- Once the new sign is installed, complete the reimbursement application. Make sure to take pictures of the old sign for the application. Reimbursements will start in 2024.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my sign is “pre-existing non-conforming”?
The City of Goose Creek will begin notifying property owners and businesses of non-conforming signs in 2023 via letter. If you are unsure if your sign is eligible, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at [email protected].
Where can I find the new Sign Ordinance?
A copy of the Sign Ordinance can be found on the Planning and Zoning webpage here.
I want to replace a wall mounted sign, can I apply for this grant?
No, only freestanding signs are eligible for this funding. If you are interested in replacing a wall mounted sign you may be eligible for the Façade Improvement Grant. However, if you want to remove a freestanding sign and replace it with a wall mounted sign, you would be eligible for this funding. This is applicable city wide, including for freestanding signs located in the Red Bank District.
My business is in a shopping center, can I apply to just update my tenant panel?
To comply with the ordinance, the entire freestanding sign would have to be replaced. Talk to your property owner about options to update shopping center signage.
I updated my sign without a permit, can I still get reimbursed?
You must have an approved permit to eligible for reimbursement.
What if I choose not to bring my sign into compliance right now?
Under the new ordinance all signs must come into compliance by 2033. If you choose to wait until that time to come into compliance, funds will not be available to assist.
What happens if funds for the program run out before I can complete the reimbursement application?
The program will run until all funds are expended. To ensure you are reimbursed, complete the reimbursement request as soon as the work is performed.