Short-term Rental Unit Permit Information and Guidelines
A Short-term Rental Unit Permit, as required by Title XI, Chapter 115 of the City of Goose Creek Code of Ordinance must be obtained prior to advertising, leasing or operating any dwelling unit as a Short-term Rental Unit (as defined below). To be processed, a Short-term Rental Unit Permit application must be competed in full, with all required supplemental information completed and attached with the submission. A separate Short-term Rental Unit Permit application is required for each Short-term Rental Unit.
- For each dwelling unit rented, cannot be an accessory structure, an initial application is required to register the unit and obtain a Permit; annual renewal of the Permit is also required.
- A Permit is not transferable; a change of ownership of the Short-term Rental Unit shall require the new owner to obtain a new Short-term Rental Unit permit.
- Short-term rental unit. A dwelling unit, principal or primary, that is rented in its entirety to Transient Guests for less than 30 consecutive days.
- Short-term rental unit agent. A natural person designated by the owner of a short-term rental unit on the short-term rental unit permit application who can perform the duties described within this article.
- Transient guest: A person who provides remuneration for lodging at a place other than his/her principal place of residence for a period of less than 30 consecutive days.
Locations and Conditions
- A maximum of one (1) Short-term Rental Unit is permitted per lot. Compliance with the City of Goose Creek Code of Ordinances is required.
- Off-street parking shall be provided at a ratio of one (1) parking space per bedroom. Vehicles shall not block sidewalks. If the property is within a Planned Unit Development District you must contact your Homeowners/Property Owners Association regarding on street parking.
The property owner or the Short-term Rental Unit agent designated by the property owner shall serve as the primary contact. In the event of complaints, emergencies, maintenance issues, the primary contact will be contacted. The primary contact must be at least 18 years of age or older and must be able to perform the duties listed below:
- Be available twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week at the phone number(s) listed on the application.
- Be willing and able to come to the Short-term Rental Unit property within one (1) hour following notification to address issues related to the property.
- Be authorized to receive service of any legal notice on behalf of the owner for violations of the City of Goose Creek Code of Ordinances and/or Short-term Rental Unit Ordinance.
- Be able to produce copies of the executed rental or lease agreement for current occupants as needed.
- Monitor the Short-term Rental Unit at least once weekly to ensure compliance with applicable ordinances.
Licenses, Permits and Tax Receipts Required
No person shall rent or lease a dwelling unit as a Short-term Rental Unit without initially and on a continuing basis:
- Demonstrate proof of ownership.
- Obtain an annual Short-term Rental Unit permit from the City.
- Obtain an annual Business License from the City (owner).
- If the short-term rental agent is not the owner, the rental agent shall also obtain an annual Business License from the City.
- Initial and sign the Short-term Rental Unit Checklist.
- Provide a Property Owners Responsibilities and Acknowledgement Affidavit.
- Provide a notice to adjacent property owners Affidavit.
- Obtain an annual Accommodations Tax License from the City.
- Remit Accommodations Tax (ATAX), as applicable; and
- If the property is within a Planned Unit Development District, a letter of approval from the HOA or POA.
- Home Occupation License Application (home-stay rentals only)
Renewals, Transfers and Modifications
- All Short-term Rental Unit permit holders must apply annually for renewal of the Short-term Rental Unit permit.
- All Short-term Rental Unit owner(s) and agent must renew their City of Goose Creek Business License annually.
- The sale or transfer of ownership of any Short-term Rental Unit property for which a permit has been issued shall immediately nullify that permit. To continue the operation, the new owner will be required to submit an initial application and obtain a City of Goose Creek annual business license.
- A change in the Short-term Rental agent, an increase in the number of bedrooms or decrease in the number of required parking spaces shall not occur without a modification of the Short-term Rental Unit permit by the City of Goose Creek.
- The Applicant will initial and sign the Short-term Rental Unit Checklist in the permit application.
- The City of Goose Creek will not perform a building inspection of the Short-term Rental Unit; however, you are encouraged to have an independent inspection prior to the initial leasing of the unit, including deck, balcony, and dock inspections, as applicable. You are also encouraged to check with your insurance company for possible requirements.
Permit and Guest Information Posting Requirement
The following documents must be posted in the Short-term Rental Unit in a conspicuous location (e.g., back of door of the main entrance, refrigerator):
- A copy of the Short-term Unit Rental Permit
- A “Guest Information” document that includes the following:
- The name, address, telephone number(s) and email address of the of the Short-term Rental Unit Agent
- The Business License number assigned by the City
- The maximum occupancy of the Short-term Rental Unit
- The location of required parking spaces
- Emergency numbers for local police and fire
- The schedule of solid waste and recycling pick-up
- The location of the nearest hospital
- A statement that any sound that could be reasonably expected to create a nuisance or cause disturbance to the peace and enjoyment of neighboring properties will not be permitted and that “quiet hours” are between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. The City of Goose Creek will enforce its Noise Control Ordinance