Sorting Your Trash

Regular Household Garbage
Regular household garbage should be placed in your green roll cart. This is the garbage generated from food preparation and other regular daily activities.

Small Appliances & Clothing
Small appliances such as toasters and microwave ovens are collected with regular household garbage. Clothing is also picked up with regular household garbage.

Cardboard Boxes
Cardboard boxes must be flattened and stacked beside your roll cart. Please do not use boxes as trash receptacles.

Yard Debris
Small debris such as grass clippings, straw, leaves, etc. must be placed in paper yard waste bags or a brown City of Goose Creek debris roll cart. Roll carts may be obtained at City Hall.

Large Debris
Large yard debris such as branches and limbs may be stacked curbside for pickup. Maximum dimensions for pick up are 4 feet long and 4 inches in diameter; and no more than 50 pounds in weight. Dirt must be removed from roots.

Bulk Items
All types of bulky items will be removed on your collection day. Separation of metal from non-metal items is crucial. Very large items such as storage sheds, garage doors, or trailers should be dismantled into manageable pieces.  Doors on refrigerators and freezers need to be removed for safety reasons.

Pickup Requests
While you are not required to contact the Department of Public Works to arrange pickup of bulk items such as refrigerators, stoves, large yard debris piles, etc., advance notice is greatly appreciated. By contacting the Department of Public Works, you enable us to plan more efficient collection routes.

If you will need collection of a bulk item(s), please call 843-824-2200 and follow the voice prompts, or complete an online form at least 24 hours before your regular pickup time.

Contractor Waste
Contractors performing work at residential or commercial sites are responsible for removing litter or waste material by the end of each work week.

If you are unsure about the category of a bulky item, place it by itself or call for clarification.

Dead Animals
Dead animals will be collected upon request.

Items Not Collected

  • Concrete / asphalt sidewalks or driveways
  • Ashes or cinders (hot or cold)
  • Dirt / compost / Mulch mixed with dirt/ Sand
  • Bricks and/or concrete blocks or similar items
  • Large automobile parts (engines, axles, transmissions, radiators, etc.)
  • Contractor generated building and yard debris
  • Animal feces
  • Computers (desktops, laptop, notebook, and tablet), computer monitors, televisions, printers
  • Tires

Item Placement
Do not place hot ashes, liquids of any kind such as cooking oil, motor oil, gasoline, etc., yard debris, construction debris, metal debris, dirt, or rocks in the green roll cart.

Helpful Information
This list does not contain all collected and uncollected items. You are encouraged to call the Department of Public Works at 843-824-2200 or 843-824-2300 with questions.